Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Dokic ....You go girl!



















It seems like forever since I've seen that name. Once a rising star in the WTA (reaching a high of No.4 in the world) the often troubled Serb makes her return to the Australian open. And boy has she ever. Often known as much for the antics of her insane father Damir as for her tennis, the 26 year old has battled against through adversity and made her opponents take notice. Under the lights of Rod Laver arena, an emotional Jelena toughed out a long 3 setter over the 17th seed, Anna Chakvetadze, 6-4, 6-7(7-4), 6-3.

I've always liked Jelena. She's got big strokes and physicallity that can match any player off the ground. More then that she plays with a fiery go get'em attitude that I've always admired.

Though, the last three years has been a bit of a downward spiral for Jelena. Suffering from depression and injuries she hit a low ranking of 617 in 2006 but has slowly clawed her way back in contention by winning several ITF tournaments in recent years.

"I don't think I'm running out of chances, [but] I think if I do come back it will be this year, 2009, I don't think I'll push it any further than that if I don't … The time is not the problem, it's just the feeling whether I can do it, and it's a lot of hard work to put into it. Coming from zero, it's not easy to do."

She has been quoted that the famous comeback performances of Capriati, Pierce and Andre Agassi are the sources of her inspiration.

Well here's to you girl. Give it one last shot and make it a good one. You've been through 'Tennis Parent' hell and if Pierce and Capriati can do it, why not you?

I'll be rooting for you.

2 comments: